May 27, 2017
Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Hey everyone! It’s Maria here with a yummy post for you. Today I realised I hadn’t made cupcakes for a long, long time. So, I wanted to create something really good. I’m also on my exams period since the beginning of May and a treat once or twice is what I need. I’ve experienced with a lot of recipes since I began baking and for what I know, a dessert doesn’t have to contain super fancy ingredients to be delicious. Or “what the heck do I make when I don’t have eggs or milk in the fridge” kind of thing.
This recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil like the one we have in Greece, my home country. The vegetable oil gives the cupcakes a moist texture and doesn’t let them dry. If you are afraid that they won’t rise because they lack eggs, I can assure you that they rise enough to be muffins! Combining baking soda with vinegar has been a very old trick of home bakers around the world. Actually, it was my mum who taught me this trick, who was told by my grandmother… you get the point.
Ingredients (for 15-20 cupcakes depending on size)
3 cups shifted flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons unsweetened cacao
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
for white chocolate ganache frosting
250gr white chocolate
150ml heavy cream
50gr softened butter
1. Prepare your frosting first. Put your chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a medium saucepan heat your heavy cream until it starts getting hot (not boiled). Once it’s heated , pour over your white chocolate and start stirring with a spatula until the chocolate has melted completely.
2. Allow the ganache to cool completely (for about an hour). Continue with the cupcakes batter.
3.Mix all of the ingredients for the cupcake batter very well in a standing mixer. Preheat your oven to 180 C.
4.Prepare your muffin/cupcake tins like you do normally. With the help of a spoon, fill up each tin with enough quantity, leaving about 1cm empty from the top. Don’t be afraid of the batter spreading when baking. In order to avoid this to happen, have your over well preheated.
5. Bake your cupcakes for 25 to 30 minutes. After 20 minutes check if they are done by inserting a toothpick in the centre of cupcake. If they are done, it should come out without any trace of liquid batter. If they are not ready, continue baking and take a look at them after a couple of minutes.
6. When they are done take them out and let them cool completely.
7. Continue with your ganache by placing the soft butter on the bowl of standing mixer and pour inside the cool ganache. Start mixing on high speed until soft peaks form.
8. When it’s ready take a spatula and start covering each cupcake by doing circular moves. If you are fancier than myself, make shapes using a frosting bag with the tip you desire!
9. Enjoy a mouthful of goodness!