New Year, new You! Right? Well, it doesn’t need to be a new you, really. I am the sort of person who doesn’t believe in resolutions that can magically turn us into other human beings. It just doesn’t apply to my way of living and thinking. I believe, however, that we can make small changes and give our best efforts to change things that make us sad, bored, jealous, negative etc. All these bad feelings can be turned into positive ones that only fill us with more energy to achieve our goals, whatever they are… Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
A small and positive change we can make this year is to pay attention to where our food comes from, rather than how many calories it contains. I promised myself this year to buy local produce, read labels with even more caution (I already read almost everything on packaged goods), eat more fish and less meat and limit sugar intake. In light of that promise, I wanted to make some cupcakes the other day for my family, but due to all the sugar and treats we had during holidays, I decided to make them a little less un-healthy. Then, the idea for some Vegan cupcakes with extra creamy coconut frosting came to life. Light-weighted, slightly sweetened and oh-so yummy!
Ingredients (for 12 cupcakes)
1/2 cup vegetable butter (such as margarine)
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar (raw)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup sprinkles (and more for topping)
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
for the frosting
1/2 cup vegan butter with coconut oil or margarine
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons almond milk
1. In a small bowl, pour the almond milk with the vinegar, stir a little bit and let the mixture to the side until you need to use it. In another bowl shift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Using a bigger bowl, place inside the vegetable butter and with an electric mixer beat until soft (for about 2 minutes). Add the sugar and mix some more until the sugar dissolves a little bit (about 2 more minutes). Last, add the vanilla essence and mix again.
3. Start adding the flour mix and the almond milk little by little in the butter, while mixing every time. When you are done, add the sprinkles and gently mix with a spatula. Don’t overmix.
4. Preheat your oven to 175 C. Take out a muffin pan and place 12 muffin cases. With a scoop for ice cream, try to fill each muffin case about 2/3. Let the mixture sit for 2 minutes and when the oven is ready, bake the cupcakes for 22 to 25 minutes. Use a toothpick after 20 minutes to check if they are cooked.
5. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool completely before making the frosting.
6. To make the frosting, use a bowl again and beat first the vegan butter well. Start adding the icing sugar in doses and in the end add the almond milk. You can a little bit more of sugar or milk depending on how the mixture turns out. You want it think, but a little moist as well.
7. Take your cupcakes and start placing some frosting on top as you wish. Sprinkle some colourful sprinkles on top and enjoy!
If you want to see more of delicious vegan recipes please follow me on Instagram!
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes